I loved everything about the idea of this top: made with woven fabric, hip length, relaxed silhouette…but alas it didn’t quite measure up to my expectations.
I think the main problem lies in my body shape: I have broad shoulders which places me in a size 12 while my waist puts me in a size 8. Seamwork patterns are also drafted for a C cup size…and I’m an A. Needless to say, this top which I had hoped would be a fairly easy sew, ended up needing lots of alteration!
I did a small bust adjustment which worked for the shoulders and bust area but it was still tent-like near the waist/hips. So I took in the side seams from the underarms to the hips. This helped the fit but I still had a funny pucker and extra fabric under the arms. So I just kind of took some more in and hoped for the best!
This fabric is a black faux suede and maybe was also too thick for this projects. The seams don’t lay quite flat…or maybe that is due to my sewing and altering! I only wore it a couple times during the fall and have it put away now. I’ll see how I feel about it when I pull it out again next autumn.
If I decide to make a woven T again, I’ll probably use the Sudley Blouse Pattern by Megan Nielsen.